South Island New Zealand Tours – Easy, fun, flexible adventures
New Zealand’s South Island is where the ultimate travel adventure begins and ends. Home to the world famous Milford Sound, adventure activity capital Queenstown, and breathtaking Lake Wanaka there are so many reasons to embark on a South Island Tour.
If you want total freedom to explore the South Island in your own time, doing awesome little adventures, but you also want an easy, hassle free way to get around… then you should consider jumping on board Stray’s Hop-on Hop-off Network. Stray’s know for adventuring further off the beaten track in New Zealand, showing off the country’s unique hidden gems along with some of the icon ‘must see’ destinations.
What is Hop-on Hop-off?
A hop-on, hop-off travel pass gives you total flexibility to jump off the bus anywhere along the Stray route and explore to your heart’s content, before jumping back on again when you’re ready to move along. With travel passes valid for up to 12 months, it’s the ideal way to get around for travellers wanting to create the trip of their dreams without the constraints of a traditional tour.
- Start and finish anywhere along the route (however most start in Christchurch for this pass)
- Easy, hassle free travel so you can focus on having a good time
- Fully flexible so you can hop off and do what you want, when you want
- Driver Guides offer great advice and local insights to ensure you get more out of your trip
- Adventures into ‘off the beaten track’ destinations that you wouldn’t otherwise know about
- Meet people like you and share the journey
- Accommodation: Stray will reserve you a bed at every overnight stop so it’s all sorted for you. Simply pay as you go based on the type of room you want.
- Activities: We have all the information and great recommendations on what to do and where to go at each destinations. Best of all your Driver can book this for you from the road.
The Ron Pass:
Stray’s Ron Pass loops the entire South Island, including all the known highlights as well as places you’ve never heard of! It’s the perfect pass for anyone who wants to meet fun travellers, retain total flexibility over their plans and maximise their time while exploring the South Island. We recommend allowing yourself at least a 3+ weeks to make sure you don’t miss a thing.
Best things to see and do in the South Island
- Hike through a national park of golden sand beaches and native bush in Abel Tasman National Park.
- Spot whales, dolphins and seals from the quaint township in Kaikoura.
- Hike the majestic Franz Josef glacier.
- Visit the “Pancake Rocks” and sprawling beaches on the West Coast.
- Spend a couple of day in Queenstown – the adventure and party capital of NZ!
- Wander the shores of Lake Wanaka, a place so beautiful you’ll never want to leave.
- Spend time hiking around Mount Cook/Aoraki – New Zealand’s largest mountain
- Overnight in the historic Gunn’s Camp and visit one of New Zealand’s natural wonders in Milford Sound
- From Stewart Island, be bedazzled by the magical Southern Lights
- Immerse yourself in the stunning ‘Lord of the Rings’ scenery around Rangitata.